- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ c milk
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
3. Combine whole-wheat flour and next four ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
4. Combine zucchini, milk, applesauce, honey and egg in a small bowl; stir until blended.
5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add the milk mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon the batter into mini muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
6. Optional: Combine 1 tbsp. sugar and ¼ tsp. cinnamon; sprinkle into each muffin cup.
7. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans, cool and enjoy — makes 24 mini muffins.
Lexie Oneca is the author of My Peace Of Food, a blog for the Chicago Tribune’s ChicagoNow network, and is mom to 2 boys, Cohen (age 3) and Toby (age 1). She lives in Downers Grove, Illinois where she also works from home full time as a writer/editor. You can connect with Lexie on her website, ChicagoNow.com/my-peace-of-food.
Try this recipe out and share your feedback! Did your kids love it? Did you do any substitutions? We're all dying to know.