In our desire to be the best moms we can, it's important not to neglect our most important family relationship – our marriage. Our husbands need our time and attention just as much as our children do, and our kids need to see us making our marriage a priority. However, even when we find the time (and the babysitter) for a Date Night, our budgets aren't always set up for a night on the town.
What to do? Here are a few creative and inexpensive date ideas:
- Bundle up and enjoy a sunrise or sunset together
- Browse the shelves at a library or bookstore
- Volunteer together for a cause you both are passionate about
- Rediscover your local playground – without the kids
- Go to a museum (most offer “free days” without admission costs)
- Attend a concert or a poetry reading at a local coffee shop, bookstore, church or other location that doesn't charge admission
- Take a walk
- Go out for coffee and dessert instead of dinner
And if the kids have been dropped off at Grandma's, consider these out-of-the-ordinary activities at home:
- Enjoy an indoor picnic on the living room floor
- Cook dinner together
- Rent a movie and make your own popcorn
- Dust off those old board games
I'm sure if you thought about it for awhile, you can come up with some other great, inexpensive ways to enjoy a date with your husband. Then, most importantly, schedule a date today.