Moms care for everyone, and sometimes (read: more often than not) it’s hard to find time (or even remember) to take care of herself. Here’s a little list of ideas to help rejuvenate. Pick one. Or two. Or, actually, just do them all. We dare you.
- Sleep in once a week and let your hubby get the kids up. Or if it’s Saturday – stay in bed and let the kids watch cartoons. Cuddle longer. Enjoy the quiet.
- Be spontaneous – in one way or another. Plan less and live more. If your child asks to throw the ball, stop dinner and go outside. Be present now.
- Make a friend and be a friend. You need support and so does she. Your kids have one model of a mom. And they need to know that you aren’t doing life alone.
- Invest in vacation for just you – if it’s you and a spouse that’s great – but take time to be away from your kids. So each week, put money aside for just mom time. And if you want to feel guilty about it, that’s just silly. Rested moms make for better moms.
- Write an encouraging note to someone every week. It might be someone that lives under your roof. One note per week is 52 or more people in your life that now know you are grateful for them.
- Read a blog. Peruse a magazine. Watch a home and garden show. WASTE 30 minutes a week – or more. Do something you love and stop feeling bad about it.
- Ignore a chore. Once a week, don’t do a certain “must-do” task. And watch the world still spin. Even if you leave your laundry in a pile for one month, the world still remains on axis. Wild, huh?
- Show a neighbor you care every week. Something active, tangible, relational that says, “Our family cares about you.” Do this with your kids. Demonstrate what loving those around you looks like.
- Make one phone call a week that is just for you. Not one where you are serving and giving but one where you are mutually caring for each other.
- Find a mentor. And meet weekly with this person. Encourage one another towards love and good deeds. Do not give up meeting together. Even if it has to be over the phone, 30 minutes – meet, and meet again, and love faithfully and fervently and watch your spirit soar!
- Have 30 or more minutes of silence per week. Yes, total, absolute, certain, deafening SILENCE! Yes, you can tell me the 30 reasons why this is impossible – or you can make the sacrifice – turn off the TV, take your early morning cup of coffee outdoors, away from honey and children, wake up at 3am and go to the bathroom by yourself – even that counts – just choose the silence. He speaks to you in whispers there.
Every week. 11 steps to you becoming a healthier woman! Enjoy.
Jenny Price loves date night with her husband Matt and hanging out with her five kids. She also enjoys her Starbucks iced coffee. Jenny is a passionate writer, mentor and speaker. Check out more of Jenny’s writing.