What is a Chicken Soup for the Soul ® story?
A Chicken Soup for the Soul ® story is an inspirational, true story about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. It is a story that opens the heart and rekindles the spirit. It is a simple, inter-denominational, living art piece that touches the soul of the readers and helps them discover basic principles they can use in their own lives. They are personal and often filled with emotion and drama. They are filled with vivid images created by using the five senses. In some stories, the readers feel that they are actually in the scene with the people.
Chicken Soup stories have a beginning, middle, and an ending that often closes with a punch, creating emotion rather than simply talking about it. Chicken Soup for the Soul ® stories have heart, but also something extra… an element that makes us all feel more hopeful, more connected, more thankful, more passionate and better about life in general. A story that causes tears, laughter, goose bumps or any combination of these. A good story covers the range of human emotions.
The most powerful stories are about people extending themselves, or performing an act of love, service or courage for another person.
We encourage you to read a Chicken Soup for the Soul book before writing, to get a feel for the type of story we are looking for.
Guidelines for Writing a Chicken Soup for the Soul® Story:
- Tell an exciting, sad or funny story about something that has happened to you or someone you know. Make sure that you introduce the character(s).
- Tell your story in a way that will make the reader cry, laugh or get goose bumps (the good kind!). Don't leave anything out - how did you feel?
- The story should start with action; it should include a problem, issue or situation. It should include dialogue and the character should express their feelings through the conflict or situation. It should end in a result, such as a learned lesson, a positive change or pay-off.
- Above all, let it come from your HEART! Your story is important.
- Making a Difference - stories about the significance that mothering matters.
- Small Accomplishments - stories to bring peace and balance in the midst of daily chaos.
- Pigtails and Froglegs: Learning a New Language of Love - stories that teach us that love comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Friendship: Mommy Play Dates - stories about encouragement from friends, family, and other moms.
- Time Out! - stories about being understood, needing a break, and sharing the load.
- It’s My Time - stories about putting yourself first for a change.
- Sharing Mommy - stories about sibling rivalry & revelry.
- Building Blocks: Perspective and Hope - stories on overcoming obstacles, regaining focus, and hope
- Growing Up - stories about change, growing up, and empty nest as they go off to school.
- Tiny Bits of Wisdom - stories and anecdotes on things moms have learned from their children.
Click Here to read the Chicken Soup for the Soul® Contest Rules.
Submit Your Story Now!