The Let's Play feature in MomSense magazine has many ideas and activities designed just for your family.
Here are some additional star ideas that didn't fit in the print issue of MomSense. Use these to include stars in your Christmas celebration and to remember that Jesus came as the light of the world.
Download the star template for cutting out perfect star shapes!
THE MORAVIAN STAR: The Moravian Star originated in the 19th century in a Moravian boarding school in Germany as a geometry lesson. The Moravian star is the star of Advent. It is a reminder of the “great and heavenly light from Bethlehem’s manger shining bright.” It also points to Jesus, who said, “I am the bright and Morning Star.” It is the star of promise, the star of fulfillment, and the star of hope.
MORAVIAN STAR PAPER WEAVING INSTRUCTIONS
Section 1: Basket Weave Center
- Cut 4 strips of papers 1” x 24” (can glue together two strips)
- Cut points on the ends of the strips for easier weaving. Fold strips in half
- Make a basket weave of the strips with vertical and horizontal strips going opposite directions. Basket weave (over one, under one)
- Pull ends to form a close basket weave
- Need another basket weave on top and on bottom. Take top strip and weave back over to other side. Go clockwise and weave each top strip on each side (4 strips). Turn over and repeat on back side (4 strips)
Section 2 – 8 Flat Star Points
Now that the basket weave center is done, next two steps form the points of the stars.
- Fold top right strip back to form triangle (will be parallel to horizontal strip). Fold down to form another triangle. Fold entire strip back to be parallel with vertical strip again. Weave point into top square of center weave. Hold down point while weaving
- Complete same instructions on all right handed strips on front. Turn over and do the same on back. When complete will have 8 star points
Section 3 – 8 Curled Star Points
- Start with 4 strips on top. Take one curl it down to the right and back up and weave through top left point. Strip will come out through the point on the top left. Notice the star point that is formed. Repeat to all strips on top
- Turn over and do the same on the back side. Tip: Pull too easy and the point will be loose. Pull too hard and the tip will collapse. Practice and you will pull just right!
- Cut the excess paper once it has been pulled through each point
And your star is complete!