Keeping in Touch Across the Miles
Where would we be without our girlfriends? Sometimes we find out the hard way when they or we have to move away. Here are some ways to keep your friendships alive and vital, despite the distance.
- Keep a journal together — buy one, write in it for a while, send it to her and let her jot down some thoughts, then switch again.
- Pray together over the phone.
- Send her an e-card.
- Write a prayer for her and send it.
- Send her a care package for her birthday, anniversary, new baby, good (or bad) news, vacation, when she needs a pick-me-up, or just whenever.
- Help your children get to know (or reconnect with) her children — even if they’re very young, let them draw pictures and “write” letters to each other to begin a tradition of pen pals.
- Save up, carve out some time, and do whatever you can to visit each other.
Originally printed in MOMSense Magazine, March/April 2004.