Hot Spiced Cider
- 8 cups of apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 6 inches stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
- 8 thin orange wedges or slices, optional
- 8 whole cloves, optional
In a large saucepan combine the apple cider or juice and brown sugar. For spice bag, place cinnamon, allspice, and the 1 teaspoon of whole cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth. Bring up corners of cheesecloth and tie with string. Add spice bag to cider mixture. If you donít have cheesecloth, you can add the contents (cinnamon, allspice, and the 1 teaspoon of whole cloves) directly in the saucepan and strain when done.
Bring to boiling, reduce the heat. Cover and simmer at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, stud orange wedges or slices with cloves, if desired. Remove and discard spice bag. Serve cider in mugs with studded orange wedges or slices. Makes eight 8-ounce servings.