Dream Dinners Where healthful, money saving dinners come true!
Dream Dinners provides everything you need to assemble delicious dinners for your family, store in your freezer and serve in the weeks ahead. They supply all of the essentials, from easy-to-follow instructions to fresh, pre-cut ingredients.
Fun Tips to Help Moms Teach Their Children
about Healthy Eating & Activity
We all know that a healthy balanced diet is critical for children’s optimal growth and development and research has shown that family meals reinforce healthy eating behaviors. Providing food for your children is at the very core of nurturing yet this task can sometimes be overwhelming. Dream Dinners provides support through their mission of helping busy moms put dinner on the table for their families.
Mothers are the first teachers of their children and the most influential. Since children form their eating and health habits early in life, Dream Dinners is committed to help you teach your children to eat well and engage in regular physical activity to help them grow up healthy and strong and have healthful habits throughout their entire lives.
Below you will find tips and activities you can do with your children to help teach them the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Choose activities that will work best for your family. Also listed are additional resources you may find useful. We hope this information will help you provide nutritious meals and snacks for your family and help you teach your children the importance of good nutrition and regular physical activity.
Activities to do with your toddler to teach healthy habits:
- Have your toddler help get ready for meals and snacks by wiping the table, setting/clearing the table, helping prepare foods. Talk about the foods in meals and snacks, comparing and contrasting them.
- Group photos of foods together into the various food groups using MyPyramid as a guide. Children can also learn about the similarities and differences between foods and the importance of eating a variety.
- Learn where the nutrition label is on food packages and know that decisions about food selection is sometimes based on the information on the label.
- Be physically active together. There are countless activities you can do with your toddler that will teach them that physical activity is fun and important as part of a healthy lifestyle
Resources for a Healthy Lifestyle:
- MyPyramid Plan — Learn the amount of each food group your child needs daily by entering their age, height/weight and amount of time spent in vigorous physical activity.
- MyPyramid Worksheet – Worksheet to help kids track how their food choices match up to the recommendations of MyPyramid. Print out this helpful meal tracking worksheet and set a food and activity goal for tomorrow.
- MyPyramid Coloring Sheet for Kids — Black and white line art of the MyPyramid for kids to color.
- MyPyramid for Kids! – A 2-sided MyPyramid mini-poster with the MyPyramid for Kids graphic on one side and eating and physical activity tips on the other side.
- MyPyramid Blast Off Game – An interactive computer game where kids can reach Planet Power by fueling their rocket with food and physical activity. “Fuel” tanks for each food group help students keep track of how their choices fit into MyPyramid.