Kid-Friendly Christmas Activities
Here are a few things that we do as a family during the holiday season:
By Suzanne Henry
- Put the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving, this allows you to enjoy it longer.
- Have a family holiday-baking day with other family members and then share the goodies with each other so you cut down on having to make several different recipes.
- Collect children’s Christmas books and read one a night to your little ones throughout the month of December - the library can be a great source for different kinds of Christmas books if you don't have enough on hand.
- Have Friday Family Nights where you watch Christmas movies and order pizza.
- Advent calendars are a personal favorite of mine - depicting the true meaning of Christmas, Jesus’ Birthday.
- I love to put out the kid-friendly nativity set and talk with my children about the original Christmas.
Some other activities your family might enjoy:
- Drive around and look at all of the Christmas lights (many newspapers publish neighborhoods that are especially well-lit).
- Check and see if you're local zoo has a "Zoo Lights" that your family can attend.
- Make homemade Christmas cards for family members that don't live close by.
- Teach your young ones a couple favorite Christmas tunes and carol around your neighborhood.
- Attend a Christmas play at church or a local school.