Looking for new ways to add veggies to your meals? Try this creamy Italian rice dish with peas and fresh asparagus!
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 2 ¼ cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 12 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces Romano cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat water and broth in a saucepan over medium heat (do not boil).
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook 1 minute. Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds or until the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes, total). Add peas and asparagus to pan with last ½ cup of broth mixture. Remove from heat; grate 1 ounce cheese. Stir in grated cheese, salt and lemon juice.
- Spoon into 4 bowls. Shave remaining cheese evenly over each serving; sprinkle with pepper.