Served as the main course or as a side dish, black beans and rice is full of protein and flavor!
You can also use leftover cooked rice and eliminate the water. Using cooked rice makes this dish go together quickly, with just 10 minutes of simmering to blend flavors.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green or yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Stir in the onions, peppers, garlic, bay leaves and cumin. Stir and cook for 8 minutes. Stir in the rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 40 minutes or until the rice is tender. (If using leftover cooked rice, simmer about 10 minutes to blend flavors.) Serve hot.